Monday, February 23, 2009

No tarantulas in Norway

One week to go. I spent part of the weekend beginning to pack, and I suspect my other team members were doing the same. No easy task to pack for a month. I also tried to recover from a nasty virus, thankful that it hit me this weekend instead of next.

I was also thankful on Friday when I attended the Franklin (KY) Rotary Club and heard from a recent GSE alum whose team visited the Dominican Republic last year. She regaled us with stories of water hoses used for showers and killing a tarantula as she went to bed one night. "It was so big, its legs were still sticking out from around my foot where I stepped on it!" she said. "I was convinced I had killed someone's pet, but my host family explained that, no, it wasn't a pet, just an everyday pest."

I felt pretty good about Norway just then, its hot showers and lack of tarantulas. They don't have tarantulas in Norway, right?

4 comments:

  1. I think there might be one in this museum of natural history: http://uit.no/tmu/152/

    Be careful.

    Alternately, follow this link to see Smashing Pumpkins perform "Tarantula" in Oslo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdEWeE8yMn8

    So, to answer your question, probably not ... but maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in full agreement with your statement regarding packing for a month. It is no easy task!! And thank goodness I do not have the additional worry of tarantulas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Here in District 2300 we still have winter conditions. I hope The GSE visiting GSE team-members are prepared for skiing? We have deep snow and excellent conditions for skiing. Now we are looking forward to welcome our new friends from Kentucky.

    Greetings from
    Roy Heine Olsen
    Elverum RC
    Former GSE team leader to District 5810 in North Texas (2005)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ask a blessing that the team will all be charmed travelers and enjoy a safe and rewarding journey, resting in the good graces of those that you encounter along the way.

    ReplyDelete